In 2009 The MMBC Continuum set out to prove that the power of economic inclusion which involves institutionalizing diversity and inclusion throughout a corporation. Literally integrating it into the fabric of the organization.
Nine corporations participated in the Model Diversity Corporation Initiative (MDCI) including:
- FedEx Express
- First Tennessee
- Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority
- International Paper
- Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare
- Pinnacle Airlines
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Senior purchasing executives from each organization participated in quarterly meetings during the year long pilot.
The MMBC Continuum established industry best practices from researching what industry top performers produced in four key areas including: Supplier Diversity, Workforce Diversity, Community Giving and the importance of the Internal Diversity Committee.
Industry Best Practices:
• Establish a robust supplier diversity program
• Build a diverse workforce that mirrors the demographics of the community
• Establish a formal internal diversity committee
• Position community giving towards causes that have the greatest economic impact
The MDCI pilot produced positive results inspite of trying economic times.
"We have made major accomplishments over the last year….. We would like to thank MMBC for helping us see opportunities, where they [the opportunities] were and for helping us shape what that vision has become at ServiceMaster."
– ServiceMaster Representative
For more information about the Model Diversity Corporation Initiative contact the Director of Corporate Services, (901) 525-6512.