Frequently Asked Questions

UCA FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q: What is the certification process?
A: Once we have received a completed application we have 90 days to complete the process. Usually 30-45 days after your completed application is received, one of our certification specialists will call you to schedule a site visit. The site visit consists of a certification specialist visiting your place of business, whether home based or in an office.  The certification specialists ask standard questions that are asked of all businesses applying for certification.  Once the site visit has occurred the file will then go through a review process and you will be notified by mail of the decision.

Q: Does the process really take 90 days?
A: Yes. We receive multiple applications every week so the whole process can take between 60 and 90 days to complete.

Q: Are there any fees associated with the process?
A: Yes. There is a $300 new application processing fee associated with the MWBE/LSB certification and a $300 or $200 fee to process your annual renewal based upon business revenue.

Q: Does my certification expire?
A: Yes. Every year. There is an abbreviated recertification application that must be submitted on or before the expiration date listed on your certificate.

Q: Can I fax or e-mail my application?
A: No. There are pages in the application that must be notarized.  The original notarized documents in the application must be submitted, so faxed, e-mailed or other digital mediums are not acceptable.   

Q: My company is located out of state.  Can I still apply for certification through your agency?
A: Yes, if your company is already certified in your home state.

Q: My company is located in Tennessee, but it is not in Memphis.  Can I still get certified through your agency?
A: Yes, if your business is located within a 100 mile radius from Memphis.

Q: Does your agency have reciprocity with other certifying agencies?
A: At this time, we only have reciprocity for the TNUCP DBE certification in the State of Tennessee.

Q: What certification should I apply for?
A: It depends on who you are trying to do business with.

Minority and Woman Business Enterprise (M/WBE) certification is accepted by most local corporations here in Memphis and the surrounding area.
Local Small Business (LSB) certification is specific to Memphis Light Gas & Water and your business must be located in the MSA.
Small Business Enterprise (SBE) is specific to the City of Memphis and your principal office has to be located within the City of Memphis.
TNUCP Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) is for companies who want to work on federally funded contracts. This certification is specific to the Memphis Area Transit Authority, Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority and/or transportation and airport municipalities.
Q: Can I apply for all the different certifications?
A: Yes, if you meet the criteria.

For answers to other certification questions please call (901) 525-6512.

2015 Economic Development Forum August 25-27

AUGUST 25-27

Memphis Cook Convention Center
Memphis, TN

 Click Here to View EDF Highlight Video